We all need a little inspiration now and then about how to deal with the bounty of ham after a big holiday or feast but frankly, my favorite part of any holiday (after the people, of course, and any dogs they might bring along) is the leftovers. 12 Days of Ham – Leftover Ham Recipes is full of inspiration! And if you didn’t have ham for your holiday, I do have a sister post, 12 Days of Turkey which covers both Turkey and Chicken Leftovers. Got Beef? You might want to check out Inspiration & Recipes for Leftover Beef and/or Leftover Steak & Roast.
I love, love, love me some leftover ham, but that wasn’t always the case! I used to wrack my brains over what to make! Over the years, I’ve built up a whole repertoire of recipes & it’s fun sharing them. Yep. I started out with twelve – that’s why “12 Days of Ham.” (And then there’s the song, too) Somehow I just keep adding, because you can’t have too many ways to refashion that leftover ham.
If there are recipes here that don’t specifically call for ham, they’re here because they are wonderful with a little ham added in and a few of these might call for another protein; know if they are here it’s because they are just as good with ham, instead.
Here’s how I take care of my ham (along with recipes, below) so it doesn’t languish in the fridge. Is it a universal rule that people are going to nibble on your ham and never rewrap it right? Well, this will solve all your problems. Leftover ham related problems, anyway! According to FoodSafety.gov, keep your leftover ham, well wrapped so it doesn’t dry out, for three to five days in the fridge and for best quality, one to two months in the freezer.
Before any holiday when you’re serving ham, don’t forget:
- Wash & save containers or pick up cheapie disposables for yourself & your guests if they’ll be taking home leftovers.
- Have plenty of Ziplocs in different sizes.
- Have a sharpie or two for labeling.
If you want to maximize holiday savings, when you’re at the grocery store during the pre-holiday sales:
- Have an idea of what you’ll make with the leftovers. Pick up those ingredients and have them on hand so you won’t have an extra run to the store.
- Pick up an extra ham; they’re such an inexpensive per pound protein and keep for weeks in the fridge and can be frozen. If you have events coming up, Spring parties, showers, graduations you can’t go wrong with a ham and in the winter think about that ham for New Year, Superbowl or any other event.
- If you’re buying your ham during a holiday, you’ll want to see my links at the bottom of the page for How to Win at the Grocers. You’ll find items you should be looking for during specific holiday sales.
No brainer meals for ham leftovers are soup & sandwiches and ham can go in almost any breakfast or egg dish. Here are a few more ideas. I have to give a special shout-out to those Scalloped Potatoes!
12 Days of Ham – Leftover Ham Recipes
main dishes with leftover ham
appetizers with leftover ham
leftover ham for breakfast & brunch
leftover ham soups
leftover ham sandwiches, fillings & salads
you might also like:
17 thoughts on “12 Days of Ham – Leftover Ham Recipes”