I love quaint, old expressions and this year with all the our hot, hot days I kept thinking about “Dog days of summer.” Now, being a dog lover, I always thought that meant the hot August days where it was all a dog could do but find a bit of shade and pant and try to stay cool.
Nope. It means, “…the sultry part of the summer, supposed to occur during the period that Sirius, the Dog Star, rises at the same time as the sun: now often reckoned from July 3 to August 11. A period marked by lethargy, inactivity, or indolence.”
That’s all enough to make me want to roll my eyes, I just don’t get Astronomy, but that last part? Lethargy, Inactivity, Indolence. It kind of seems like me in the heat…
Regardless of the skies or the calender, this is the perfect recipe for the Dog Days or any hot day. Easy, peasy, cool and delish, there’s nothing like a Classic, cool & creamy Ham Salad to beat the heat & keep you out of the kitchen.
This salad is the perfect use for leftover ham. All of these types of mixed Mayo salads can get a little watery the next day. Drain off the excess liquid and add a little more mayo to freshen them up.
Classic Ham Salad
- 2 cups of chopped, leftover ham (food processor works great for this)
- 3/4 cup finely diced celery (more or less as desire)
- 1/4 cup finely minced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup pickle relish, drained
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon clove, or to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, or to desired consistency
Mix all ingredients together, serve in tomato cups, on lettuce or in a sandwich.
from the kitchen of www.frugalhausfrau.com