A few of our favorite meals based on rice or classically served with or over rice as a part of the meal. Rice always comes in at a budget; even most of the “fancier” imported rices don’t usually break the bank.
- Asparagus Risotto: A classic Italian dish of rice, wine, broth and cheese, this method makes gorgeous, creamy Risotto without constant babysitting. Just a few quick stirs every few minutes.
- Fried Rice, Asian Grandmother Style: By all means, try my recipe and I’ll be flattered, but I’ll give all the credit to the Asian Grandmother’s Blog. Her advice made me a hero!
- Jambalaya: An absolute classic and every bit as good as many of the other “world-class” rice dishes, a melange of vegetables, sausage, chicken and rice is simmered to a lovely perfection.
- Poor Man’s Paella: A great example of a marvelous dish using every day ingredients. This is a chicken paella, but instructions included to upgrade, too, by using Chorizo and Shrimp.
- Pork Larb with Sticky Rice: Larb is a wonderfully flavored salad that can be made with almost any protein, full of herbs, loaded with finely shredded fresh vegetables, it’s a feast.
- Red Beans and Rice: Silky beans simmered with sausage, this New Orlean’s classic is absolutely full of down home flavor, and couldn’t cost less. Makes a huge pot but freezes well.
- Roasted Red Pepper & Shrimp Risotto: A very special dish that makes the most of a few shrimp. Plus an easy method to make Risotto! It doesn’t have to be that hard.
- Thai Pineapple Fried Rice with Kale: A beautiful dish full of healthy ingredients – and the surprise is how the savory, lightly caramelized pineapple flavors the dish. You’ll fall in love!