I love me a good Broccoli Cheese Soup. I love it even more when it’s start to finish, 15 minute Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup, piping hot and on the table in no time at all. And I love it even better, when it’s made with real Cheddar for that flavor punch.
This Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup just shines out as something special. The broccoli’s perfect. The flavor? Divine. (And that’s not a word I use to describe soup very often!) The texture is a silky contrast to the bits of broccoli and carrot.
When I say this is minutes to make, I mean literally minutes. And it’s super easy with an “oddball” method. There are a few small, quick steps, so it is going to take a little attention, especially the first time it’s made. (Notice I said “first time?” Coz there’s gonna be a second!)
There are three things to know about Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- Leave the broccoli in bigger spears & cook it two minutes only. That’s it. Pressure is released immediately and quickly. We don’t like no stinkin’ broccoli.
- This soup has a roux cooked in the IP, normally a no-no. It’s a loose mixture & only cooked two minutes, so I get by with it.
- Be careful adding that cheese! You don’t want the soup hot hot hot or the cheese might seize up.
A rundown of the steps for Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup:
Let’s do a quick rundown of the steps for this soup since some people have found it a little confusing, probably because directions are more detailed. Here’s the big picture rundown:
- Cook the aromatics in butter until they start to soften.
- Make a roux (sprinkle the flour over the aromatics & cook for a minute)
- Whisk in broth, add broccoli, cook 2 minutes high pressure.
- Remove broccoli and chop up – save some to put back into the soup and put some of it in the blender.
- In the meantime, set the IP to saute, whisk in the milk and toss in the shredded carrot.
- Add cream to the broccoli in the blender and blend up.
- Take out the whole instant pot liner with the soup from the instant pot coz it’s super hot and we don’t want the cheese to “break” or get grainy, which can happen if it’s too hot.
- Add the broccoli/cream mixture to the soup. Then add the pieces of broccoli to the soup. Then add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- By now the soup should have cooled just a bit so it’s safe to add the cheese in small handfuls, stirring after each addition until it’s melted in, then adding the next handful.
This is a lot of quick steps because everything goes so fast with the IP. Pretty much the same steps happen when making broccoli cheese soup without the IP, but there are more pans dirtied and it takes longer! And this really is the most exquisite Instant Broccoli Cheese Soup.Print
15 Minute Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
The most delicious Broccoli Cheese Soup with chunks of broccoli in a creamy, Cheddar soup.
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 - 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon (optional)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound broccoli, cut the long way into spears, 2 to 3 spears for each stalk
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (about a cup)
- 2 cups milk, whole highly recommended
- 1 cup cream
- salt to taste (about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon, amount varies depending on how salty chicken broth is)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups grated cheese)
Press the Sauté button, High heat and as the pot heats, add the butter, onion, and garlic (and tarragon, if using.) Continue to cook until the onion slightly softens.
Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir for a minute, until flour is incorporated and the mixture starts to look a little dry. Whisk in the broth until smooth. Take care to make certain the bottom of the pot has all residue scraped up and incorporated into the liquid. Turn off Instant Pot (or press Cancel) and add the broccoli.
Set the Instant Pot to Pressure, High heat, time 2 minutes. At the end of 2 minutes, immediately do a quick release of pressure. If anything other than steam comes out, stop the release, wait a minute and release in short bursts. Open the lid and turn the pot off. Remove broccoli and set aside. Add the shredded carrots to pot.
Reset Instant Pot to Saute, low heat. Add milk to the pot, whisking in. Return your attention to the broccoli that’s been set aside. Chop some into rough chunks (to be blended) and some into small bite-sized pieces (to be returned to the soup when finished.) Blend the chunks with the cream. Add some of the liquid from the pot, if needed, to get blender going.
Turn off the pot and remove the soup in the liner (so the soup isn’t so hot when you add the cheese that the cheese “breaks” and the soup isn’t so hot that it cooks the broccoli any more when added back in.)
Add in the blended broccoli/cream mixture. Stir in salt and pepper, add a small pinch of nutmeg (be careful, it can be strong). Stir in the cheese, a small handful at a time, making sure each handful is melted and incorporated before adding the next. Return the chopped broccoli to the soup.
If the soup needs to be a bit warmer, replace it in the liner and set Instant Pot to Saute, low heat, stirring often. Do not overheat the soup or boil at this point, keeping in mind that even the low saute setting is very hot.
Taste and adjust seasoning and serve.
If you have a hand blender, feel free to use it instead of removing the broccoli and chopping and blending it. You may still want to remove the broccoli and chop some of it into bite-sized pieces to return after you blend.
I’ll be bringing this recipe to Fiesta Friday 201, hosted this week by Monika @ Everyday Healthy Recipes and Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook. Fiesta Friday’s already filling up with all kinds of holiday goodies & recipes, so be sure to stop by!
if you like instant pot broccoli cheese soup, you might also like