I don’t know if I can think of a better beat the heat, quickie dinner for a hot, muggy summer day than these Asian Turkey (or Chicken) Lettuce Wraps.
Minutes to make, using a handful of ingredients, Asian Lettuce Wraps are cinch to pull together – they literally take minutes.
Make them once and you’ll be wondering why you’ve never made lettuce wraps before. And if you’re like me, you’ll probably start to tinker and add a bit of this or a bit of that, all your fave veggies, etc. and customize to your heat level.
Today I kept them simple coz we have a veggie hater in the house…but, hey, it’s hard to convince someone who’s lived to see 90 that they need veggies in their diet! Although I do get a little sneaky now and then. 🙂
Ground turkey or chicken is something I do whip up at home for several reasons:
- 1st is quality – you don’t always know how a ground product has been handled or exactly what parts are in those shiny little tubes.
- 2nd is price – whether turkey or chicken, in my area the low is between 69 cents to 99 cents a pound, respectively.
- 3rd is texture – sometimes those tubes contain mush – it’s hard to make that look attractive and the texture can be off-putting.
I do get that sometimes you can get ground turkey or chicken from the butcher and not just from a tube, but it takes so little effort to grind up your own. Just cube up chicken or turkey and toss a good handful of the cubes at a time into a food processor. Pulse a few times and you’re set in minutes.
Turkey or Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound ground chicken or ground turkey, or a pound of either chicken or turkey, cut in cubes and pulsed to desired texture in food processor
- 6 – 8 scallions, white and green part finely sliced, a little of the green ends saved for garnish
- 1 small can water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup hoisin
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 – 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- For heat as desired: chili garlic sauce, sriracha, peppers in oil, etc.
- 1 lime, half juiced and added to the sauce, the other half cut in chunks for serving
- 1 large head butter lettuce, wash, dried and leaves separated
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Any desired condiments for serving
In a large pan, brown the ground chicken or turkey over medium-high heat, breaking up the pieces. If very lean, you may need to add a little oil. Drain, if necessary.
Add scallions, garlic, water chestnuts, red pepper and cook a few minutes until the vegetables are softened.
In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, fish sauce and sesame oil and what ever you desire to add a little heat.
Add to pan and stir until ingredients are coated and the sauce is thick enough to cling to the turkey/chicken and vegetables. Add the lime juice. Garnish with peanuts.
To serve, spoon about ⅓ cup of chicken filling onto one lettuce leaf and roll it up, if desired. Serve with lime and sriracha or other spicy condiment, if desired.
|Servings per lettuce wrap|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 4 g||7 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||5 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 21 mg||7 %|
|Sodium 267 mg||11 %|
|Potassium 54 mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6 g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1 g||3 %|
|Sugars 2 g|
|Protein 6 g||11 %|
|Vitamin A||9 %|
|Vitamin C||20 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|