We’ve been having the dreariest, dark, cold, wet weather all week. How about you? I know it’s good for the plants but I get feeling a little blue. I want to get outside and DO things! Instead, we’ve tucked in and made something warm and comforting and creamy and cheesy! Three Cheese Chicken Casserole!
This Three Cheese Chicken Casserole has just about everything going for it. It’s not only delish, it’s pretty easy, fairly fast, and even faster if you use leftover chicken.
I found this recipe in my little cookbook of family recipes I typed up for my daughter years ago. I seem to turn to these old faves even more during crummy weather! I guess I’m looking for a little comfort and this one delivers! If you’re ever looking for a casserole to take to a family who needs a little pick me up, this is the one.
Three Cheese Chicken Casserole makes a pretty good-sized casserole; I like to set a little aside and freeze it for a quick lunch or “emergency” meal later since there’s only three of us at the house. I love cooking once and eating twice, but I don’t love facing a week of leftovers, if you know what I mean!!
As far as cost, most of these ingredients can be bought and sale with coupons, if you use them. The cheese is the priciest item, so really watch the specials and chuck it in your freezer for casseroles like this. When bell peppers and/or mushrooms are on sale, but extra to last through the next week, too. And yes, you can use rotisserie chicken, but plain old sales priced chicken, leftover, perhaps, will be even less expensive.
Three Cheese Chicken Casserole
- 8 ounces egg noodles, rigatoni or penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 to three cups of cooked & shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups (16 ounces) cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated Cheddar or Colby (reserve 1/2 cup for top)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Asiago (reserve 1/4 cup for top)
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried, or to taste (Italian seasoning is good, too.)
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Butter or Oil a large casserole dish.
In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium high heat until melted. Add vegetables and stir, then cover for several minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until excess liquid has evaporated, the vegetables are softened and the mushrooms slightly browned, stirring as necessary.
Place cottage cheese and milk in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
In a large bowl, add the cottage cheese mixture, cheeses (except the reserved) the soup, herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together. Add in the pasta and chicken.
Place in casserole, cover with cheese, and bake 20 to 25 minutes until warm and bubbly.
- Prepackaged shredded cheese works well in this, but has a anti clumping agent. Shredding your own makes for the creamiest casserole.
- As far as the herbs and seasoning, I often add a little more! I just go by taste.