A few months ago, this little recipe from Bon Appetit caught my eye. They called it Roasted Jalapeno Pimiento Cheese Toasts, but since there is absolutely no Pimiento in the recipe, I changed up the name. I thought this would be a perfect whip together no-brainer recipe for a Holiday buffet or pre-dinner appetizer.
It saved us last night for an impromptu dinner party – when the roast took a little longer to prepare and we were waiting on the potatoes to finish up so we could mash them, everyone was perfectly happy noshing on a few crackers spread with this smoky happiness.
Beautiful, creamy with just a whisper of heat, and all the fantastic cheddar flavor of a traditional Southern Pimiento Cheese, I know I’ll pull out this recipe again and again, and not just through the Holidays but anytime we want a little something for game time or tv watching.
This recipe is especially quick and easy if you’re like me and roast extra peppers and jalapeno whenever you make some for a recipe. I generally buy them when the price is low, roast a few, portion and slide them into ziplocks to freeze. Then they’re there to make salsas and dips at the drop of a hat!
Best of all, a home-made dip or spread is going to not only beat out any store or deli bought spread, not only in flavor but in price, too, even if you’re using an expensive higher end cheddar. And it’s going to cut down on a lot of the processed ingredients. So spread some joy this Holiday season, with Roasted Red Pepper & Jalapeno Cheddar Spread on crackers, on toast or try it as a grilled cheese, all warm and melty.
Roasted Red Pepper & Jalapeno Cheddar Spread
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half if broiling
- 1 jalapeño
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound sharp cheddar, grated
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- To make ahead, cover and chill. Use within 5 days.
- I used garlic powder rather than roasting garlic because I was looking for a clean, sharp flavor in the background to enhance the other flavors, not a roasted garlicky flavor.
From the kitchen of www.frugalhausfrau.com, adapted from Bon Appetit
Put your Own Spin on It
- I can think of a zillion ways to vary this little spread, the first being to make it more traditional – just leave out the Roasted Red Pepper & Jalapeno, add 3/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire and use the little jarred Pimientos.
- I also am excited to try this sometime with a little finely chopped bacon – can you imagine??
- Or how about using different a different cheese? Provolone comes to mind immediately!
Roast extra peppers, divide and freeze to use! Don’t use a knife to remove ribs and seeds – use a spoon!
I will be bringing this Spread to Throwback Thursday, No. 17, where I’m honored to be a co-host as well as to Fiesta Friday number 98, with two brand-new co-hosts, Sadhna @ Herbs, Spices, and Traditions and Natalie @ Kitchen, uncorked.
Make sure to stop by and check out all the posts, and please do contribute one of your own! See you there!