Asparagus is always a sure sign spring is coming – somewhere anyway, if not in the frozen North where I live. And when it’s in a bright, lemony marinade like this simple Marinated Asparagus, it just perks me up. Hello, Spring, where ever you are!!
It only takes a few simple ingredients and a bit of time to dress up Asparagus for a side or an appetizer. This little recipe is pretty much a go-to, a “back pocket” recipe. A little olive oil, some oregano, a pinch of red pepper and garlic, and a good squeeze of lemon.
About Marinated Asparagus:
Once you make Marinated Asparagus, you’ll start to realize that marinades like this generally follow a formula: Two parts olive oil to one part acid. That’s pretty much the standard formula for any Vinaigrette.
Get creative from there. Maybe you’d like to use a red or white wine vinegar, vary the herbs, add a little red onion or thinly sliced green onions. A little dry mustard could add some zip.
A sprinkling of finely diced red bell pepper and celery along with the onion, strewn across the asparagus makes Marinated Asparagus into a Spring salad.
Save Time & Money on Simple Marinated Asparagus:
If you’re rushed, a prepared Vinaigrette or a home-made one you have in the fridge can sub in for the marinade. My Greek Dressing comes to mind.
Marinated Asparagus is a great way to transform a little leftover asparagus into a whole new dish. You might want to make a little extra asparagus, serve some with dinner and marinate the rest for lunch or dinner later in the week. Paired with an Egg Salad Sandwich, Marinated Asparagus makes a classic combo.
Do buy Asparagus on sale & watch for the size of the bundles you find at the grocers. Sometimes Asparagus is bundled in 12-ounce packages, other times a full pound. Check for great prices at your big box store and if you have an Aldi nearby, the prices for asparagus are usually great. Don’t waste the stalks – add them to your Green Smoothies. Zest the lemon & dry or freeze for another time.Print
A simple marinade transforms Asaparagus into a lovely side or starter.
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 pound asparagus (choose thick stalks if possible.)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon oregano
Cook Asparagus until tender crisp. (my favorite method is in the microwave.) Place in bowl and run cold water over until cool, or plunge into a bowl with ice and water. Drain well.
Mix lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano in a small bowl and pour over asparagus. Refrigerate from two to four hours to overnight.
- Use a small clove of garlic or the dressing will be very assertive.
- When olive oil is refrigerated, it may become thicker and hardened; simply bring up to room temperature.
Let’s talk about how to save money/time on Marinated Asparagus:
- Use a coupon matching site! Every store has a group of enthusiastic Coupon Matchers. Do not discount the savings!
- Follow my 12 Strategies – You’ll see them on the upper drop-down menu of every page and how I apply them, below.
- Don’t get discouraged if your prices don’t match mine! Keep shopping at the best prices and your fridge/freezer and pantry will be stocked with sales priced ingredients.