There’s not much simpler than a basic Greek style Vinaigrette, nor better, when made with an Extra Virgin Olive oil, a good red wine vinegar and oregano. It only tastes better the next day and after that! A little bit of this herbal, potent emulsion goes a long way.
Make your dressing with the best ingredients you have on hand; sometimes it is the simplest things that let each ingredient shine.
Greek Dressing, 1 cup, cost about 70 cents.
- 3/4 cup of Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of good quality red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of crushed Greek oregano or Home-made Greek Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of pepper.
Whisk together in a bowl, or place in a tightly covered jar and shake to combine. The dressing will turn a light color with a creamy texture as the oil and vinegar combine.
Put your Own Spin on It:
- Use lemon instead of vinegar, or vary the herbs to your taste: try using an equal amount of Greek Seasoning instead of the oregano.
- Use over salads: Tomatoes, cucumbers, red bell peppers, olives and feta cheese – combined with Romaine or not.
- Use in Pasta Salads, too, with the above vegetables.
- Brush a bit on top of a hamburger when it is finished cooking, baste chicken breast as it cooks.