Somehow this year, I decided these mini peppers were the ideal appetizer and have made them a couple of times. I’ve also made a Pimento Cheese & Chorizo version, but these, stuffed with cheese, Italian sausage and cream cheese are really a favorite, too.
They’e pretty easy, not too time consuming, and can be made ahead and just popped in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes when they’re needed. They’re bright, colorful and festive and easy to eat out of hand. And flavorful! And the baby bells are surprisingly inexpensive at Aldi!
I’ve come up with a little “formula” more or less, for filling for the baby bells. For a package (there’s usually around 24 in a pack) I use a block of cream cheese, about a cup of other cheese and 4 to 6 ounces of meat. The rest is up to you.
The cream cheese is really there to bind together the ingredients but these little baby bells could be stuffed and flavored in so many ways…
Italian Stuffed Mini Peppers
- 1 package mini bell peppers, washed, cleaned of seeds and cut in half lengthwise
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces mozzarella, shredded
- 6 ounces Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a baking tray by lining with aluminum foil.
Mix together cheeses & sausage. Fill peppers. Place on baking tray.
Bake until melted and peppers are tender, about 15 minutes. May be placed under the broiler for a minute or two to brown top if desired.
Allow to sit for a few minutes to firm up and cool slightly before removing from tray.
- When cutting peppers, note how it lays naturally and cut horizontally. The peppers will stand up better. Prop against each other on the tray.
- A piping bag makes quick work of filling the peppers.
- May be made ahead to the point of baking and refrigerated.
from the kitchen of http://www.frugalhausfrau.com
You know I’ll be bringing this to our Throwback Thursday #26 Link Party, hosted by Quinn of Dad What’s for Dinner, Meaghan of 4 Sons are Us, Alli of Tornadough, Carlee from Cooking with Carlee and Moi! That’s right – me!
Click over to our Throwback Thursday post for links to their blogs and social media, rules and more info or just click on the blue leapfrog, below, to view all the Throwback Thursday Posts or enter your own!