Cacik has a million different uses. A gorgeous Cucumber Yogurt sauce, flavored with dill or mint, it can be used for a dip for pita, kebabs, fresh vegetables. It can be used as a fresh salad dressing or eaten as a salad.
This sauce goes by different names in various areas, Cacik and Tzatziki are just two. Flavor yours with mint or dill, drizzle with a little olive oil, or not. On this site, I’ve served it with my Yogurt Marinated Shish Kebabs and with Falafel.
- 1 cucumber, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 4 ounces Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint or dill
- olive oil (optional)
In a mixing bowl, combine cucumbers and garlic. (Don’t add any cucumber juices to the bowl.) Add salt to taste.
Mix in yogurt – best when refrigerated for an hour.
Transfer to serving bowl. Garnish with mint and drizzle olive oil on top. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.
If you don’t have Greek yogurt, strain your plain yogurt in a cloth or paper towel lined strainer eight hours or overnight.
from the kitchen of http://www.frugalhausfrau.com
Let’s talk about how to save money/time on this recipe:
- Use a coupon matching site! One of my favorites in my area is Pocket Your Dollars, but every store has a group of enthusiastic Coupon Matchers. Do not discount the savings! I check their site every week, even if I don’t “need” to go to the store and often find bargains I can’t pass up.
- Follow my Strategies – You’ll see them all explained on the upper left tab of every page and how I apply them, below.
- Don’t get discouraged if your prices don’t match mine! Keep shopping at the best prices and your fridge/freezer and pantry will be stocked with sales priced ingredients.
- Read Strategies for additional tips as well as throughout the recipe, for saving time and managing food.
serving size 1 1/2 tablespoons. Cal: 25.07 cal fr fat 4.72; tot fat .54g; sat fat .31g; chol 1.82g; sod 22.34g; tot carb 3.24g; fib .29g; sug 2.7g; prot 1.88g
Put your Own Spin on It:
- Add dill, parsley, lemon or a dash or red wine vinegar.
Cacik, Cucumber Yogurt sauce, made May 2012