Curious about what to serve with my favorite Yogurt Marinated Shish Kebabs, I did a bit of searching. I was inspired by a Turkish recipe, Ezme. Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, Green Onion and spices, all mashed together in a side dish/condiment.
Rooting around my cupboards, though, I took a few liberties and came up with this Salad: A bit sweet, a bit tangy, this is one of those dishes that makes one sit up and take notice.
It’s so absolutely simple and absolutely delicious. Cool & refreshing.
This is a salad that seems to go over equally well with children and adults…so simple to prepare it took just minutes.
Like many mixtures, I did find it improved a bit as it sat, so this is a perfect do-ahead side. Feel free to adjust the flavors to your palate. And add a little Feta, if you’d like.
Bell Pepper & Tomato Salad
- 1 large Bell Pepper, preferably yellow or orange, or a half of each
- 3 plum tomatoes or about the equivalent amount of what ever is on sale
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Chili sauce
- Salt and Pepper
Cut peppers and tomatoes into bite sized chunks and place in a bowl. Thinly slice green onion and add. Mix the sauce from the rest of ingredients and pour over the vegetables. Mix and chill for an hour or overnight.
- Green Onion may be added just before serving, if preferred, to protect their color and crunch.
- This salad may be chopped finely and used as a condiment.
- This is very good with a little Feta cheese, too.
from the kitchen of www.frugalhausfrau.com
Let’s talk about how to save money/time on this recipe:
- Use a coupon matching site! One of my favorites in my area is Pocket Your Dollars, but every store has a group of enthusiastic Coupon Matchers. Do not discount the savings! I check their site every week, even if I don’t “need” to go to the store and often find bargains I can’t pass up.
- Follow my 12 Strategies – You’ll see them on the upper drop down menu of every page and how I apply them, below.
- Don’t get discouraged if your prices don’t match mine! Keep shopping at the best prices and your fridge/freezer and pantry will be stocked with sales priced ingredients.
- Read Strategies Applied for additional tips as well as throughout the recipe, for saving time and managing food.
Cal 68, % fr fat 47; tot fat 4g; sat fat .51g; chol 0; sod 39mg; tot carb 9g; fib 2g; sug 4g; prot 2g
Put Your own Spin on It:
- You couldn’t go wrong with a bit of lemon or lime on this salad.
- A hot pepper of any kind would be good, finely diced.
- This would be a perfect salad mixed with a grain: couscous, quinoa, bulgar or rice. (Make a little extra sauce!)
Tomato and Bell Pepper Salad made May 2012 for $1.35, remade and repriced March 2014 for about $1.40.