When an opportunity to party rolls around, I like to pull out all the stops, don’t you? I’ll be finding opportunities to make this Smoky Jalapeno Bacon Dip. It’s positively addictive, all smoky bacon flavor spiked with the hot peppers and just a touch of vinegar for a subtle tang.
This is great in the summer month with its cool, creamy deliciousness but also perfect for a winter game or movie night, baked into a hot cheesy perfection for a dip or a spread.
It might seem like a lot of jalapenos in this dip, but the creamy base tempers the fire – but do what I do and you’ll find your perfect balance: Roast up a bunch of jalapenos and add them to taste.
Put the rest into a Ziploc in the freezer where they’ll be at the ready when you need them for this dip, again. And I’m betting there will be an “again.” They’re great to have on hand for a quick salsa or any other recipe you need a few jalapenos for, too.
Notice there are a lot of variables in this recipe – because jalapenos can vary in heat, tastes can be a little different and sour cream can vary in consistency. I love a good, thick dip but the cream cheese, while soft at room temperature, will firm up a lot after its refrigerated and become even more melty if this is baked, so keep that in mind as you add the milk or cream.
Both the bacon and the jalapeno will add a very subtle smokiness but the liquid smoke (it’s really not scary and is on my Top Secret Super Stealth Arsenal of Ingredients list) just brings that flavor home. It’s strong. A couple drops will do it! I learned early to never shake those drops out of the bottle over the food.
Shop well for your ingredients (and you’re likely to find all these things on sale during any holiday weekend) and you’ll bring this dip in at a budget price. Cream cheese keeps forever and if you buy it during a holiday, it’s often at half price. Sour cream also keeps well, but keep it clean and store upside down and you’ll find it lasts longer.
Smoky Jalapeno Bacon Dip
- 6 to 8 slices of cooked bacon, chopped finely, a little reserved for garnishing the top
- 4 to 6 jalapenos, roasted & peeled and deseeded, finely chopped (see note)
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (about 8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (or more) grated cheese, your favorite (I like Monterey Jack)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 drops of liquid smoke
- enough milk or cream to thin to desired consistency
Beat cream cheese until smooth in a medium bowl with a mixer or mash with a fork until softened. Gradually add in sour cream and when blended, add the rest of the ingredients except the reserved bacon.
- If serving cold, place in a bowl and refrigerate until chilled and garnish with reserved bacon just before serving.
- If serving warm, place into a baking dish and bake about 15 minutes, until warm and melty, then garnish with reserved bacon and serve.
- To roast jalapenos: Hold over a gas flame, turning often, until skin is blistered and charred all over, 5–10 minutes. I spear mine with a fork for this. Alternatively, broil on a (foil lined for easy cleanup) rimmed baking sheet, turning as each side is blistered.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let steam 10 minutes. Peel and seed peppers, then finely chop.
Also, of course, we have our very own Throwback Thursday Link Party, hosted by Quinn of Dad What’s for Dinner, Meaghan of 4 Sons are Us, Alli of Tornadough, Carlee from Cooking with Carlee and Moi! That’s right – me!
Click over to our latest Throwback Thursday post for links to their blogs and social media, rules and more info or just click on the blue leapfrog, below, to view all the Throwback Thursday Posts or enter your own!
This Smoky Jalapeno Bacon Dip was one of the features picked on Fiesta Friday!