It’s hard for me to serve steak without mushrooms, but this recipe is good with or without steak! Based off a very classic recipe, these are an easy way to “class up” almost any dinner.
The more I learn about mushrooms, the more I love them. Best of all, the least expensive, most humble of the mushrooms, the button or crimini surpasses them all in respect to reducing inflammation. Mushrooms also have a number of other healthy qualities.
This is a pretty healthy recipe, with the mushrooms cooked on their own. If you are sauteing a steak, they can be cooked right along in the pan with the steak, taking advantage of the additional flavor.
I served this most recently with Beef Medallions in Red Wine Reduction, and the recipe worked particularly well because I had used the fond and drippings from the steak in the Red Wine Sauce. These were a fantastic addition to the meal! 🙂 Think of this recipe when grilling or camping out, too – cooked right alongside the meat or on a side burner, it’s fantastic.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered if large, halved if medium-sized
- 1/2 of a small onion, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of Dijon
- salt and pepper as desired
- 2 teaspoons snipped parsley
Place butter and oil in a saute pan and heat until butter is melted. Add mushrooms and onion, stir for a moment, then add lid and cook until the mushrooms begin to soften and have started to give off juices, about five to seven minutes.
Remove lid, add lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon. Allow to cook for a minute or two until the juices have begun to thicken to a sauce and flavors are incorporated, and mushrooms are tender. If needed, add a small amount of water to regain sauce-like consistency.
Salt and pepper to taste, add parsley as a garnish.
from the kitchen of www.frugalhausfrau.com
Let’s talk about how to save money/time on this recipe:
- Use a coupon matching site! One of my favorites in my area is Pocket Your Dollars, but every store has a group of enthusiastic Coupon Matchers. Do not discount the savings! I check their site every week, even if I don’t “need” to go to the store and often find bargains I can’t pass up.
- Follow my 12 Strategies – You’ll see them on the upper drop down menu of every page and how I apply them, below.
- Don’t get discouraged if your prices don’t match mine! Keep shopping at the best prices and your fridge/freezer and pantry will be stocked with sales priced ingredients.
- Read Strategies Applied for additional tips as well as throughout the recipe, for saving time and managing food.
Put your own Spin on it:
- If desired, when the mushrooms are nearly done, add a splash of wine, white or red and allow to reduce a bit.
- When serving this with very flavorful food, you might want to use a light hand on the seasoning. If serving with something that doesn’t have as strong as flavor, go a bit heavier here. A nice contrast and balance can be had.