You’re going to think I’ve gone Cauliflower Cray Cray! If you follow me, you’ll remember I made “Essential Oven Roasted Cauliflower” last week. And then I made Cauliflower with Dates & Pine Nuts. Now, here’s Smoky Cauliflower Hummus.
This dip is creamy and spicy and fluffy and flavorful and you’d never guess in a zillion years that it had any cauliflower at all in it. It’s a great way to health things up with no compromise in flavor.
The only had part about this recipe? Refraining from munching on the cauliflower before it gets to the blender!
Feel free to double the recipe and/or adjust any spiciness to your own taste. This DOES have a bit of heat, and it is sneaky heat. The more you eat, the hotter it is.
I won’t leave you high and dry without a shopping tip or two. Watch the sale prices on cauliflower and whether it is sold by the pound or as a unit. Look for tahini in the grocery store when specialty items go on sale, usually around holidays or you might want to paw around in the discount/close out bin if your store has one.
Smoky Cauliflower Hummus
- 1/2 head cauliflower (1 to 1 1/2 lbs.), trimmed and cut into 2 inch florets (about 4 cups florets) Oven Roasted
- 1/2 cup well-stirred tahini
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water (start with 1/2 cup, add more as needed)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus a little to drizzle on top
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika, plus a little to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1/1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Put 1/2 cup water in a blender with roasted cauliflower and remaining ingredients.
Blend, adding more water if needed (up to 1/4 cup) and scraping sides often, until you have a creamy purée, about 4 minutes. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice if you like.
Spoon into a serving bowl and drizzle with a touch of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of smoked paprika and red pepper flakes.
May be made ahead several days, stored in an airtight container in the fridge.