Some of you guys might know I’m a little bit obsessive about my various spices, mixes and concoctions. I have quite a few Spice Mixes & Blends on my blog because if you have spices you can make almost anything. This Smoky Chipotle Taco Seasoning is one of my newer favorites.
I even have a more Basic Taco Seasoning already…but over the years I’ve found myself adding a bit of this and a bit of that to really bring my taco flavoring home and I think I now have this perfected! As far as flavor goes, it seems I always want more, more, more!
The Smoky Chipotle Taco Seasoning has a good amount of heat, but keep in mind that by the time you’ve piled all your taco meat into a shell or tortilla and smothered it all with cheese and/or your favorite fixings, the heat does dissipate a bit. Just use your good judgement if serving children or the spice wary.
Smokin' Chipotle Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoons onion flakes or dehydrated onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon basic chile powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder or another individual chile powder with a heat level you are comfortable with. Ancho is nice.)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch *
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or chili pequin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano or Mexican oregano, optional
Mix together. Makes a little more than 1/2 cup.
Use 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons (this amount equals a 1 1/4 ounce seasoning packet) per one pound of browned and drained ground beef. Push the ground beef to the edges of the pan and toss the taco seasoning into the center. Toast for a minute in the skillet, then add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water, mix everything together and simmer several minutes to desired consistency.
Multiply as desired.
* Helps to thicken so the spices adhere to the meat & helps to keep the mixture from hardening and clumping while storing)
I’ll be bringing this recipe to Fiesta Friday, hosted this week by Sarah @ Tales From The Kitchen Shed and Liz @ Spades, Spatulas, and Spoons
29 thoughts on “Smokin’ Chipotle Taco Seasoning”
Pingback: December – Gifts From the Kitchen – spades, spatulas & spoons